Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Surprise of a Lifetime

My hubby surprises me rarely.

He is a creature of routine.  His mornings consist of his alarm, coffee, newspaper and coffee, omelet making, bathroom business, ironing clothes, and cleaning the kitchen.  In that exact order.  Every morning. Day after day.  Week after week.  Sometimes if I wake up early and try to make myself breakfast or use our one bathroom, inevitably I mess up his routine.  This always amuses me.  This rarely amuses him.  

Because of his routine-like habits, I usually know what to expect from hubby, whether in word or in deed.  That's why I was so taken back at our date last night.

Last night, we ventured out (without kiddies) for a little fun at a local bar.  They have great wings (hubby's fave!) and cold beer, a good combination in my book.  On Mondays, they also have Trivia where customers compete against each other to win a free appetizer or free pitcher of beer.  Free food or drink really spurs competition,  and we enjoyed trying to outsmart the other patrons on questions like, "According to Papua New Guinea cannibals, which Hormel lunch meat tastes the most like human flesh?"  Answer: Spam (Which we got correct!  And, yes, I know that that is gross, and no, I have no idea why hubby and I have that useless knowledge residing in our brain.)

In between rounds, hubby said, "I really had a hard time falling asleep last night."

As I licked hot sauce off my fingers I prompted, "Really?  Why?"

"Hmmmm.  I don't know,"  he paused.  "All I do know is that I was watching this movie where a guy gets amnesia and then forgets about his family."

Intrigued, I questioned, "What movie?"

"I don't know the name.  After he forgets his family, he gets with another lady and her sons.  The lady was played by Pam Dawber, and she looked hot . . ."

I interrupted, "Pam Dawber?  Mork and Mindy, Pam Dawber? Are you sure it wasn't Pam Anderson?"  I teased.

"Yes, I am sure.  Pam Dawber.  Mork and Mindy. Her.  Well, she . . ."

I had to interrupt again.  "Pam Dawber is not hot."

He shot right back, "Well in this movie she was.  Now stop interrupting and listen."

I busied myself with eating and kept quiet.

"Well, after he had proposed marriage to the hot, Pam Dawber,"  he emphasized sarcastically, "suddenly, he gets his memory back and remembers his first family."

I waited for him and when he was quiet, I asked, "And?  What then?"

"Well, it shook me up.  The man decided to go back to his first family even though he was really in love with Pam.  And even if he wasn't in love with her, Pam was much hotter.  He definitely should have picked her."

I chuckled at his man logic, that the hottest woman should always win, and said, "Hon.  What were you watching?  It sounds like  . . . well . . . crap."  

And that's when he did it.

He surprised me.  

"Well . . ."  he started, and then he looked sheepishly down at his plate.

"Well what?" I asked pointedly.  I was the cat and the curiosity was killing me!

"Well, I don't know what the name of the movie was, but . . ." he trailed off.

"But what?  I couldn't hear you, " I asked.

"Well, it was on LMN."

"LMN?"

"Yes."

"You couldn't sleep last night because you were up watching the Lifetime Movie Network?!"
I asked incredulously.

"Well . . . yeah."

You could have just pushed me over with your pinkie.  I was shocked!  Here was my hubby, my sports guy, my guy that loves, loves, loves, shoot 'em up action packed thrillers admitting that a Lifetime movie got to him.

I couldn't believe it.

I started first with a slight giggle, and as my shoulders began to shake, that giggle turned to an outright laugh, and finally I was in hysterics.  It was just too funny.

"Hon, " I said through my giggles, "I love that you watch the Lifetime Movie Network after I am cashed out for the night."

He smiled, realizing that I was teasing him, and then countered, "So I guess I shouldn't tell you that I stayed awake to watch Message in a Bottle after that?!?"

That little tidbit put me over the edge.  LMN and Message in a Bottle?!?!?

My hubby was a closet sap! ( A fact that I had suspected ever since he had cried like a baby during our entire wedding ceremony.)

We laughed and laughed together at his latent sappiness as we finished our trivia round.

It was a great date, which wasn't surprising.



***Thanks hubby.  I  love that after 9 years . . . I still never know what to expect from you!

1 comment:

  1. This is just too cute! I've also caught my husband (of 36 years)watching Lifetime instead of his usual History Channel, and have even heard him sniffing. I think as they get older they appreciate these slice of life movies more.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love to read your comments!

 

Image: istock photo, Design by Bloggy Blog Designz Copyright © 2010