Friday, January 29, 2010

An Open Letter to the Girl Scout

Dear Girl Scout,

I have you figured out!

You dress in your adorable uniform, you approach me with your smiling toothless grin, and you know.

You know.

Yes, you know very well that I will be unable to resist your little girl charms. I will inevitably buy a box or seven, just because you are cute. Forget about the fact that the Thin Mints are delish, and the Samoas taste di-vine crumbled up on vanilla ice cream. When you approach me with that box of cookies, and ask for my help, I will be transported back to when I was a girl scout (before I quit because they wouldn't let me tent camp like the boys). I will remember how hard it was for me to approach an adult and hock my baked goods. And when that memory comes rushing back, I am a goner.

And you know it.

You can smell the sale like a dog can smell fear.

I am but a victim in your entrepreneurial endeavors, and frankly, I may as well just set up a direct deposit into your cookie bank account.

I am that much of a lock.

So, please forgive me if I advert my eyes from your eager gaze. And, please don't take offense when I close the curtains and hide in the dark as you ring my bell. I am doing it for my own good.

And while you may not thank me for it, my ass will.

Sincerely,
A drop out scout,
Annie

13 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the laugh- I love your blog! You have a wonderful talent for telling a story. :) I am always excited to see when you have made a new post. Oh and now I am craving thin mints! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was too funny- great post! Oh how I am craving some thin mints now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL!!! This could have just as easily been written by my husband!!! He's a sucker for ANY little girl, but one with cookies too??? A forgone conclusion, lol! But he can eat all the junk he wants and still look hot. It sucks!

    Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by from SITS. I live in a neighborhood of lots of little Girl Scouts..They all come knocking on my door. I try to resist but...no can't do it. I end up with a freezer full of cookies. Love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. May I find your strength somewhere!!! Amen SITSta! They are devil's workers. :) But man oh man do I love me some Samoas!!!

    Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest! I'll be back here for sure soon!

    Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner?
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Annie, another make me laugh post. I just love you. Girl Scout goodies, oh so yummy...and so not good for me...but oh so yummy. It's a good thing I can't afford more then a couple of boxes this year but still how long will they last, even in the freezer. Who likes frozen cookies anyways.......me,me,me....it doesn't matter, chocolate is chocolate cold or warm.
    Take care Annie and have a great day today. God Bless!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You, too? I thought I was the only one who hid from Girl Scouts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stopping from SITS! They are really tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So funny! Made me laugh. I love reading funny, quick-read posts like this.

    Happy SITS Saturday sharefest!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes pull those curtains and assume the tornado postion of sitting in the hall with your head down away from windows. This way those devilish little girls can not tempt you with cookies. I understand - really I do.
    May they not grace my porch with their deliciousness in a box.
    tammy

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL! I wish they had approached me this year. I need my Thin Mints. We didn't order 1 box.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm trying to find some girl scouts selling some cookies! I just have to have some samoas and lemon cookies...maybe some shortbread too!
    :-)

    Thanks for visiting me on my SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was never a Girl Scout myself, but I still succumb every year. They accosted me at my grocery store last week. I've already polished off a box os Samosas! Thin Mints are 1/2 gone. Ugh! So hard to resist!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love to read your comments!

 

Image: istock photo, Design by Bloggy Blog Designz Copyright © 2010