Saturday, January 23, 2010

Hubs and a Saw, Not Necessarily a Good Combo

As I sit here on a particularly grey afternoon, stuck in my dining room, amid my displaced refrigerator and stove, as hubs installs my kitchen floor tile, I am reminded of a few things.

A) Hubs is hot when he is doing manual labor all for me.
B) Kiddies are crazy when they are confined inside because of bad weather, but they are particularly crazy when they are confined to only the living room because access to the basement playroom is blocked.
C) Mommy needs a drink tonight. In. A. Bad. Way.

Remodeling with three kids in the dead of winter will do that to you.

So, each time hubby goes out to use the wet saw, I say a little prayer, especially after the "accident" last year. In honor of that special, special time, I thought a re-post was in order. Enjoy!


Left . . . Without Words
April 1, 2009

Aaaaaaannnnnie!!!!!"

The yell emanated from the basement where Hubby was doing some finishing remodeling work. No honey. No sweetie. Just my first name, at the top of his lungs. This could not be good. Either something had happened to him, or he just found my last receipt from the outlet mall. Like I said, not good! So, I expected the worst as I waited for him to trudge up into the kitchen.

You see, the basement remodel has become somewhat of an albatross for the family. When we started the construction, our basement resembled a Silence of the Lambs cellar. If you closed you eyes, you could imagine that blonde weirdo murmuring, "She puts the lotion on her skin . . . and . . .then she places it in the bucket." Creepy, to say the least. So, when it came to home improvement projects, I started Hubby on that scary basement first. I needed a pretty place for the kiddies to play during the frozen months of a Midwest winter. He assured me that it would be no problem. During the planning and measuring stages, Hubby and a friend actually even said to me, with a straight face, "Oh yeah. We can knock this out in a weekend." And, me, being the naive, hopeful person that I am, believed them. Ha! That was on Labor Day of 2008. Let's just say it has been one loooooooong weekend.

Anyway, Paul arrived, face ashen, in the kitchen with his left hand wrapped in paper towels. His right hand clung tightly to those towels, but even through his vice-like grip, I could see the blood coloring the towels red.

"What happened Paul?"

Gravely, he said, "I cut myself with the table saw."

I tried to stay calm as he paced back and forth from the kitchen to the dining room. Visions of ER reruns were flying through my head, and I hoped that I would not have to view anything that grisly. "How bad?" were the only words I could muster.

"Well, I don't know. I haven't looked yet. I need you to."

Dear Lord, I prayed silently . . . please contain my gag reflex for the next few moments. Puke could only make this situation worse. Thanks.

So, I bravely, stood next to him as he unwrapped his mangled, left, index finger. And all I can say is, I am glad that God was with me. The best word that I can use to describe Hubby's finger was shredded. Like I said, not good.

While I did my best with neon blue band-aids, I calmly tried to do the impossible . . . get Paul to a doctor. "Hon, I really think that you should have that looked at. "

"Nah. It's not bad," he said as he helped wrap the fourth band-aid around the mess.

I raised my right eyebrow and stared at him. What??? His finger looked a bit like ground beef, but, it wasn't that bad? He reminded me of that Monty Python knight. The one that after having his arm completely severed remarks, " 'Tis just a flesh wound." Ridiculous. I half expected to see men clapping coconuts together galloping through my living room.

"Paul. Really. This. Could. Be. Bad." I tried to slow down my words in the hopes that a change in pace would confuse him into agreeing.

It half-worked.

He went to see the school athletic trainer, a man we lovingly refer to as Doc. A man, and this needs no saying, that Ethan believes is his actual, M.D. doctor. Doc cleaned and patched him up, and now he sports a huge mass of gauze and tape on his left, index finger.

And, therein lies the rub.

"Annie, you think that I can golf with this thing tomorrow?"

"Hmmmm. I don't know. Maybe you'll have to give it up this week," I replied. Inside, I was a little giddy at the prospect of having him home on a Thursday night, instead of starting up his golf league.

He took a couple of practice swings and pronounced, "Yeah, I should be OK." I grimaced while he reflected, "You know, that was the first thing that went through my mind when I cut it."

Not understanding him, I said, "What was?"

"Golf tomorrow."

"Golf tomorrow," I said incredulously. "Golf tomorrow was the first thing that you thought about? Not about losing your finger, or being maimed, or . . . or . . . pain?!?"

"Yep. Golf."

Incredible.

"Well, what was the second?" I countered.

He paused and wiggled his bandaged finger at me. "My left finger."

Not getting it, I repeated, "Your left finger?"

"Yaaa-esssss. My left finger."

I said nothing and waited.

He smiled and said, "It's my wing hand. How am I supposed to eat wings?"

So, hubby gets injured and his first thoughts are about golf and wings.

Nice.

And then he left me with this tidbit that belongs in the Hubby Hall of Fame, "At least it is not my right index finger. I would never be able to pull down my pants when I need to go the bathroom."

Lovely mental picture.

What can I say? I love my guy.

He makes me laugh . . . even when he doesn't try.


Author's note: (If this makes no sense, please read On a Wing and A Prayer, an earlier March post, and all will become crystal. Clear, that is.)

4 comments:

  1. I know what you mean...I'm a tad nervous every time Mr. Fairway attempts any manual labor. But he sure is cute! SITS sent me by, and I'm glad they did...

    Saturday School

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I think every mans ego makes then insist that "it's just a flesh wound"! Many years ago I remember I was doing my EMT clinicals and a man came in that had chopped off his finger. And he was laughing about it...after asking him what was funny he lifted up his other hand and he had 3 missing fingers on that hand that he had lost in seperate incidents! I think he needed less of a hands on job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We remodeled out home 2 winters ago. Not an easy task but oh so worth it later. Jim was hammering in some brackets, smashed his finger but just went to bed. Two days later he couldn't move the finger, he said he couldn't remember what he did but his finger hurts. He went to the doc and it was broken. I'm pretty sure if it had been me I would of been hollering and crying and I'd remember what I did. Husbands.....so good at stuff but sometimes a few marbles missing.
    Thanks for sharing. Take care and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see he has his priorities in order!

    It's been raining nonstop here. I'm about to fashion a kid sized hamster wheel in the basement and strap my kids in whilst they run off this energy.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love to read your comments!

 

Image: istock photo, Design by Bloggy Blog Designz Copyright © 2010