Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Sick Day

I am sick.

Not the knock you out, don't know what day it is sick.  Not the feverish, lose 10 pounds in 2 days sick. (Oh, if only I could catch one of those viruses before bathing suit weather!)  Just sick.  Unfortunately, I am only suffering with a bad cold.

You see, when mom is out of commission with a cold,  no one is sympathetic.  I still have to get up early in the morning and get kids off to school.  I still have to think of things to feed my family for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  I still have to run errands, take kids to doctors appointments, and tutor my needy pupils all the while resembling a sad version of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.  

I am a wreck.

Days like these, when I could just crawl under my comforter and sleep and sleep and sleep, I am instead, propped up on the couch, tissues wadded up around me, watching "The Incredibles" with kiddies for about the 1000th time and wishing that I was just a little sicker.

Sad, but true.

If I were just a tad bit sicker, I would be the one that people would take care of.  The tables would be turned!  The caregiver would be the caretaker, and I would get to sleep without guilt.
Aaah!  If only I had a touch of bronchitis, a smidge of the stomach flu, then I would get a break.

And, if I were sick enough, I could get a stay in the hospital!  I love the hospital.  Food arrives, and it's hot.  Crying babies are whisked away, and pain pills are brought regularly.  People come to visit you and bring you flowers and balloons.  What's not to love? I'll take an IV any day if it means that I can sleep when someone else is on watch.  If I could sleep without worry of hubby, or babies, or family,  heck, I would probably even endure a catheter.  That is how much I value my rest.

So, alas, there will be no hospital stay during this sickness.  Just lots of tissues, chicken soup, and "Mommy, are you better yet?"

It's terrible to admit that you wish to be sick in order to get a break.

Terrible, but true.

I need to take my own medicine.  I need to "Suck it up!"

Either that or a trip to the day spa.  

Take your pick. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

I love, love, love to read your comments!

 

Image: istock photo, Design by Bloggy Blog Designz Copyright © 2010