Monday, June 6, 2011

Losing my Voice (Along with my Sanity)

I am losing my voice.

Stop laughing.

There are several reasons that I am losing my voice.

1) All of the trees and bushes and live things in my town have plotted against me and decided they needed to procreate all at the same time.

2) I have tutored 7,000 hours of math and algebra in the last few days due to the school's final exams.  (You know it is bad when Ethan asked me quite seriously, "Mom, did you figure out what X is yet?  You keep asking kid after kid what X is.  Do any of them know?"  No.  They do not know what X is.  That is why they see me!)

3) The new puppy has created whole new reasons to yell.  For example, "For the love of all that is good and holy . . . you can not put the dog in your baby stroller!"  Or what about this?  "No!  You can not feed the dog your spaghetti!  Dogs don't like spaghetti!"  (Even though, apparently, this dog does like spaghetti.  This does not surprise me, however.  What surprises me is that Indy, the puppy, is still alive despite being smothered frequently by Ellerie.  The dog is a damn saint!)

So clearly, I am ripe for losing my voice . . .except that I can't lose my voice.

I can't lose my voice, you see,  because I am a yeller.

And,  I love being a yeller.


*********I Yell. Suck It Up.  Originally posted 6/5/10****************

I'm a yeller.

My high pitched voice can often be heard calling things like, "Whose underwear are these right in the middle of the hallway?" Or maybe, "Do not squirt your sister!" as I call from the protection of the dining room.




I yell. I am OK with it. It's my style.

But recently, after picking Ethan up from a play date, he posed this question on the ride home.

"Mom, did you know that there are moms that do not yell? Isn't that amazing?"

After wiping the tears of laughter from my eyes, my response?

"Honey, I know that there are moms that do not yell. God just didn't happen to give you one of them."

Case closed.

I yell.

Suck it up.



So, give it up. Are you a lover or a fighter? Or a yeller?
*********************************************************
 
See? 
 
Yelling? 
 
It's sooooooo me.
 
Whispering?
 
Not so much.


9 comments:

  1. Not a yeller -- my voice 'goes out' after I come home from a loud party! But that doesn't prevent me from being veerrry snarky and sarcastic when it's called for...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm such a yeller. I don't really want to be. I blame my boys for making me be one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm all of the above.

    I don't even have children and I'm a yeller. :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I'm also a fighter and lover. I'm all of the above. :) Different ones and different times!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL I love this! I am SOOO a yeller. I haven't gotten to that cozy place of acceptance yet though. I think I keep thinking I can change that about myself or something, but every day I realize more and more that it's impossible. And it's the only way my kids hear me anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally understand your pain. I too am a yeller.

    But I bet my children would be happy if I lost my voice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My friend posted this on Facebook. Thought you might like it.

    My doctor asked if any members of my family suffered from insanity, I replied, no, we all seem to enjoy it.

    And by the way, there is a dog that goes by my house every day - in a stroller- pulled by a bicycle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am totally a yeller.

    We even joke at the office that we're the office that yells. We have a perfectly good intercom system but why bother when you can yell?

    ReplyDelete
  9. R U Kidding? I am terrifed that my kids will see THAT movie at the rental place one day....OLD YELLER...and they will think it's about me!

    I hate it...but OMG....Listen and obey then!! Parenting by volume....sometimes it works!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love to read your comments!

 

Image: istock photo, Design by Bloggy Blog Designz Copyright © 2010