Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Sweet and Salty

There was an article in my local paper today about a bacon candy bar.

No.

I am not joking.

And, at first, I'll admit that I was a little bit . . . shall we say . . . grossed out.

But then, I got to thinking about two things.  One,  my love affair with all forms of bacon, and two,  my love affair with any and all chocolate substances.

So, bacon and chocolate . . .

Hmmm . . .

I just may have to try it.

Until then, I will just have to satisfy my sweet and salty craving with Pig Candy. (Yes, that really is the name of this dish.) It is a recipe I love, love, love from the Sweet Potato Queen's cookbook.   If you too are craving a little something something that is sweet, salty and crunchy,  make up a batch of Pig Candy right away.  I guarantee that once you taste this concoction, you will have to hide the batch from the rest of your family so that you can eat yourself happy without having to share.  Better yet.  Make a double batch.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Pig Candy

1 lb. of bacon 
1 cup or more of dark brown sugar

Take the bacon out of the package and chop it up into small pieces.  Then, toss the pieces until coated in the brown sugar.  Lay the pieces on a broiler pan and put into a hot oven (400 degrees?)  until bacon is crispy.  Remove and let cool ( if you are able to resist eating it right away.)

The Sweet Potato Queen also recommends tossing the bacon pieces with pecan pieces as well as brown sugar.  I can readily attest that this version is ridiculously yummy.  I, myself, have tweaked the recipe a bit and put in some chili powder with the brown sugar to make a sweet, salty, and spicy combo.  Super yum.

Any of these options are great.  I mean, really, how can you screw up bacon?

So there you go.  Sweet. Salty.  Easy.  My kind of recipe.

And now, I'm off to find the grocery store that sells the bacon candy bar. 

I'll keep you posted.


1 comment:

  1. I'm between gagging and drooling over this one. I feel like I will have to try it to come to a conclusion...if I dare :)

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love to read your comments!

 

Image: istock photo, Design by Bloggy Blog Designz Copyright © 2010