Thursday, October 7, 2010

"Serious"ly Annie

Forgive me friends.

I do not have any funny stories to recount.

Or, any sassy observations to convey.


My heart is heavy today.


I just heard the news that a favorite uncle of mine has been diagnosed with liver cancer, and truthfully, I feel like I am under water and gasping for a breath.  You see, 8 years ago, hubs' mom was diagnosed with the same cancer.  At that time, I was younger, and more naive, and I didn't realize the gravity of a liver cancer diagnosis.  Even though it happened right in front of my eyes, I refused to see mom waste away with increasingly toxic doses of chemotherapy.  I was helped along in my denial by mom, of course.  You see, she was so very brave, and never once did she complain outright of pain or sickness.  Oh, she got a little cranky and even a bit spunkier than her normal self, but, she never complained about the cancer.  She was the ultimate mom, after all.  Worried about her kids and their feelings.  Selfless to the end.

But now that I am older, I see the seriousness of a liver cancer diagnoses, and it makes me feel like I have been punched in the stomach. Hard.


I ache.

I am tired.

And, most of all,  I want to reach out and hug my dad, my cousins, and my whole family.


Since they are far from me, I will hug my own little ones just a little bit closer.  I will drink in their delicious vitality, and  I will appeciate their warm smiles and mischievious laughs.  They heal the hurts.


Most of all, though,  I pray.

7 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear this, Annie. We will be praying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My prayers are with you. Having lost both a husband and daughter to cancer, I know the journey is difficult -- and, there really are no words that heal the hurt... hopefully, you'll be able to visit with your distant family, soon... {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie! I am so sorry to hear that. My prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No words can help... I know where your head and heart are... as I have been there too many times myself! Praying for a journey filled with love for him ... and courage! =) just happened upon your blog today... apparently I am in the mood for blog hopping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so very sorry -- your Uncle and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers and a special healing prayer for all will be said this weekend in the Episcopal Church we attend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so very sorry to hear this news and will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers...please keep us posted when you feel up to it.

    HUGS,
    erin

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry. Best to speak your truth and write what is in your heart. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love to read your comments!

 

Image: istock photo, Design by Bloggy Blog Designz Copyright © 2010